Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The pendulum has swung...

I was a little down yesterday but found that a good night sleep can make all the difference in your outlook. We saw Dr. Fenner last night for the follow-up appointment. It is always a relief to hear that things are progressing well and for 5 days post-op I looked good. Glad he noticed because I showered and was wearing real clothes (almost). I opted for the sweat suit only after my mother was trying to button up my button-fly my cute jean capris. She said, "Don't you have some sweats, wouldn't that just be easier?" Mother knows best!! I was happy to be showered, semi blow dried and even put on a little eyeliner. Wow! We've come a long way baby! So we visit with the doctor and he recommends that I move right into a shaping under wire bra. Great reason for us to run right out to buy a new one. Here is the funny thing...he says "Don't buy and expensive one, most women like the brands Natori and Chantelle." We get to VonMaur and they don't carry Natori but have some $75-$90 Chantelle bras. Don't spend a lot?? Really? Obviously I'm not his normal client. We opted for "The Awareness Bra" by Wacoal and it is pretty and comfortable and is shaping these ladies just fine. For some reason, it may be that I haven't had vicodin in awhile but I am feeling really good. Dr. Fenner said you'd be surprised how much advil or motrin will help and advised to get off the vicodin if I didn't like it. So, I had a great night of sleep and got up and dressed and am living by doctor's order to proceed with life as normal! While I can't workout yet, I am able to walk. So it's just same old Julie, just running at 75%. Yeah! The other day my ringer was off on my cell phone and the next day I had 7 messages and 8 texts. Sorry, if you've called and I haven't gotten back to you. There are so many emails, calls, texts etc. and it would be a full time job managing all of it. I am chipping away at the list slowly but surely but please know your prayers are felt, the love & support is endless and I appreciate each and every one of your good thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great!!!! Wow a regular bra already? Good job! Sleep is so so important so I'm glad that you were able to get some zzzz's. Life is so much better when you have had a good night sleep. I can relate with each of your ?'s. Take your time through it all and do not try to answer them all at once. I'm around if you need a listening ear from someone who has been/is in the "hot" seat....My prayers have been lifted to you often and thoughts as well. It is hard to believe but God is in control and will get you and your family through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie--I can not believe it is one week post surgery! You are so strong and having a speedy recovery. That is great news. You and your family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I just read your blog and all I can say is wow. You are an amazingly strong, brave and beautiful woman. I cannot fathom what all of this has been like but having read this I am amazed by your ability to keep it all in perspective and maintain a healthy sense of humor.

    My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer back in the late 90s, she had a lumpectomy and radiation and has been cancer-free for 10 years. I remember how scary it was.

    I look forward to following your progress and news of your family's adventures.

    Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like I got a special gift today getting to laugh with you at the girls' soccer game. I've been so worried and am so glad to know your secondary pathology has come back clean and that you are moving to recovery. Your new cleavage looks fabulous, yes I got a peek, and you look beautiful and radiant as always. Thanks for continuing to share your journey. I feel blessed to be your friend. Shout out to Clay's Mom for the fabulous sex talk answers for young girls. So that's what that's for! hahaha! You guys are a good bunch of apples with wonderful attitudes. Have a great rest of the weekend and rest!!

    ReplyDelete