Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Life on the horizon

It's kind of like the first buds of spring...you see them and excitedly know that so much good is ahead. I had a few of these "first bud" moments over the weekend.
1. I took my first shower. Alone. Granted I didn't do my hair, I went for a wash & blow dry at my salon (Hello luxury!) but it was just me and my music. In typical Julie fashion, I ran the hot water then went into the closet to change out of my jammies and forgot, of course, that there are drains safety pinned to them. As I untangle this mess, I grab the drains in my hand and book it into the shower. On the way though my drain tubing caught on the doorknob of the bathroom causing me to jerk backwards in pure physical comedy bit. Why? Why is it that even alone I can crack myself up and do some of the most ridiculous things. I guess that's just who I am. I ended up saying prayers of thanks because what am I going to do if this drain that is stitched in to me gets ripped out? I've got enough on my plate right now, thanks though!
2. I went out. Yes, of my house, with clothes on. Big news. I've enjoyed watching the surprise when people see me out and about. They must think I'm nuts. I guess the image people have of someone post-op from a double mastectomy is not this. I'd think the same way, you think laid up, nurses on staff, haze of pain meds and all that. Instead you resume normal activity pretty quickly. I believe that the pajama wearing, laying around bit gets old and stale and almost plays upon itself to being miserable. I'm out and distracted and just hoping my drains don't fall out of my hoodie. I even watched a jr.pommers performance Friday and 3 soccer games Saturday morning. That's a feat even in the best of health. Sadly though, I was unable to attend my friends, Dave & Stacy's, wedding in Tucson, AZ this weekend. I thought of them often and of my high school friends kickin' it old school on the dance floor. But I certainly would've have a drain malfunction had I participated in that. It wasn't meant to be!
3. Food. I love it and it has been an oddly absent from my life the past few weeks. It may have been the stress and, if not that, the vicodin that really wiped out the appetite. It was so different for me. I love to eat and not wanting to eat anything was very foreign to me. But I am back and although I can't reach the treats now, I have goals for the future.
4. How bout the NFL rockin the pink all month long. I just teared up at the "Crucial catch" introduction of the Bears/Giants game. Early detection and more birthdays. Yeah, that means more cake :)
Once again, I am truly blessed to have this wonderful support team behind me. My mother passed the baton on Thursday to Clay's mom, Peg, who left today. These two super Grandmas have managed my household, kids, homework, meals & no small feat...the laundry. My dad even picked up the dog poop, without being asked. In a house with two large labs, that's huge!! "It takes a village" only scratches the surface. I'll give you an update after the plastic surgeon's follow-up on Wednesday...praying hard the drains come out and maybe I can start driving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment