Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Thursday, September 16, 2010

We got a date!!!

Got a call this morning and the scheduling nurse was so excited that there was a cancellation and asked...could I make it next Friday, September 24th for the surgery? I have been so anxious to get this date on the books and now yikes! it's so close. I immediately retracted my eagerness and asked, "Well, if not that day what is the next day available?" The answer was Oct. 22. That is a whole month away and can't imagine having to live in limbo for another four weeks so I hopped on it!! I have been frantic all day long. I know that not posting has caused lots of phone calls...sorry to those that I have yet to follow-up with. There was a mad scramble to set up a pre-op appt. at plastic surgeon (basically a "Is that your final answer" appointment), a physical & staph swab with family doctor and attend the PTA meeting today. I am equally scared shitless and super excited to have this first phase underway. I am so overwhelmed by all of the kind words and emails. I am certainly not worthy of this level of attention and it is starting to in fact creep me out. It's like I've died and am attending my own funeral. It is such an out-of-body experience. Friends and neighbors telling me that they love me and are cheering for me. I am BLOWN away!You all better stop or I'm gonna start getting cocky. Again, this is one of the moments when I can honestly say how lucky I am. I am witnessing the truest sense of friendship and love. I am lucky enough to feel people's compassion for me and my family. It is an amazing feeling. Now enough of the sappy shit. Let's talk about the $3.99 sweatshirt that Clay bought at last night. He was SO excited as we wandered into the Walgreen's by the Plastic Surgeon's office at 9:00 because I was dying (not literally) of thirst and needed a water. He comes across this old school charcoal grey sweatshirt and he just had to have it, he put it on right in the store and handed the sticker to the check out girl...jeez just like a kid in the candy shop. Then he got to hold implants both saline & silicone - a landmark day :)
A few funny things:
1. I mentioned that my brain is not right. This is reminiscent of when I was pregnant. Clay and I always laugh at what a ding-dong I was when I was pregnant. Now , I guess, this cancer bit has got me being goofy again. Yesterday, we pulled in after school and the girls all get out of the car. I have my foot on the brake and think that the keys are out of the ignition and that I am actually in park when in fact I am in drive still. I let me foot off the brake and Grace is screaming "MOM!!!!" and I'm thinking what the hell are you yelling about and then I realize I'm about an inch from running into my house. Nice! Great driving skills!!
2. This is actually an addendum to the last story. This morning, running late for school and looking everywhere for the freakin' car keys. Find the spare key, run to the car and find my keys STILL in the ignition from the episode yesterday. Hey anyone want a new car? Some dumb broad on Byrd Ct. has the keys in hers ripe for the pickin!! Good Lord. Hopefully this too shall pass because I can't stand myself right now. Ding-a-ling central!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... wow... I just found your blog, thanks to Tom's email and plan on following your journey and then musings about AI. I also plan on getting a *real* note off to you sometime soon. Fenner's great. And you've got great support from everywhere... which you know. More later but I just wanted to say hey.

    ...KW

    ReplyDelete