Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Monday, September 13, 2010

Tuesday, September 7th

Meeting with Dr. David Winchester (Jr.)
This is where we get some real scoop. We both are immediately calmed by everything Dr. Winchester is telling us. Here is the letter I wrote after that meeting...

"Please forgive my email as form of communication. While I'd love to talk with each of you individually, I'd be on the phone all day long. Last week I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This is what I know right now. I found a lump, had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Then I had an ultrasound guided biopsy. The tumor presented stage 1, grade 1 infiltrating ductal carcinoma. This is early detection of a slow growing cancer. It is the most common and most curable type of breast cancer. This is really good as far as bad news goes!! My next step is to have an MRI and undergo genetic testing to see if I carry a cancer gene (this will take 10 days to get results) both of these tests will indicate which path I will pursue for treatment. My options are lumpectomy with radiation or mastectomy. Chemotherapy will be an option if the cancer has travelled into the lymph nodes.

Clay and I sat down with each of our daughters individually over the weekend to tell them about it. They are getting quite an education on breast cancer but seem to be handling it well. I will fight hard and hopefully teach my girls how to laugh in the face of adversity.

Aside from my rapidly graying hair, I really feel great. There will come a time and place for me to start accepting help but we are not quite there yet :) As soon as my treatment course is set, I'll be knocking on all of your doors. In the meantime, I'm working hard on organizing every single closet in my house and will keep busy with my PTA duties, mothering duties, and all the damn laundry!!!

Thank you for your thoughts & prayers and feel free to call/email/text me (or Clay) anytime you want."

Clay & I are totally overcome by the support of all our family & friends. There have been so many emails...some so funny and so perfect that I am printing them out and putting them in a booklet so when I am having a low moment I can look back and laugh! Some people really know exactly what I need! My good friend Charlie has graciously offered to give me a second opinion exam and is ready to come boob shopping with me, only if I think I can't handle it on my own :) It is humor and laughter that I will get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment