Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Holy Staph Batman!!

Everyone says be prepared for the roller coaster ride. Ha Ha! Isn't it the truth!?!? I experienced a mini crisis today when my family Doctor called with results from my physical on Monday. My surgeon ordered a staph swab of my nostrils. Easy & ticklish but certainly nothing I was concerned about. That was until I heard that I tested positive for Staph. Lovely. I was assured that many people walk around with staph in their nostrils and will never ever know it unless they are tested, then it can be treated with oral antibiotics. Then he drops the "Don't know if they'll still do the surgery because of this" on me. Well crap-a-doodle-doo! This is not good. I go into major panic frantically calling all offices (which is currently three). Only after 1 hour of sheer panic did I hear that it was fine that I am positive just need to have some meds and this wonderful ointment called bactroban. So if you'd like to play along at home; go grab about a Tablespoon of Vaseline and jam it up each nostril, then try to breath and massage those nostrils real good. Now, trust me on this one...don't laugh, not even a little bit. I did this on the way home from the pharmacy in the car with Clay driving, and started shooting stalactites of ooze from my nose. That's hot!! and I have to say if Clay wasn't a saint he should have left at the street corner. Instead he found an already used Kleenex in his car for me to clean up. See people, chivalry is not dead! The best part (insert sarcasm) of this ointment is that it coats the back of your throat with a taste I reckon would be similar to gasoline or motor oil. Cancer I can handle, this staph business, maybe not.
Aside from this nonsense today, I am getting very nervous. Like butterflies in tummy...or I may hurl at any minute nervous. I try to be cool but with the lack of sleep I am getting, the tears valve is getting turned little by little. I cried today when my friend Joan told me she was organizing a prayer service at our church. It's not that I am that holy, I just thought it was the kindest gesture, that my friends would go to church and pray for me. It scared me a little bit too. I was thinking "Shit, things must really be scary if these ladies want to go to church on a day that isn't Sunday." Regardless I am touched and letting myself "go there" a little bit.
So after wiping my eyes from that conversation I go to my last Zumba class before surgery. Yesterday, during kickboxing my instructor and friend Jen gave me the cutest pink Zumba pink ribbon tank to wear to today's class. If I wasn't so darned sweaty, I would've taken a picture. She tells the class my story and all of these women are clapping and cheering me on. Well damn it, I already cried, just five minutes ago, I can't release the valve here, again! So I suck it in and dance like there's no tomorrow (Little shout out to Paula Abdul). If you haven't ever tried Zumba, promise me you'll try it. I am as uncoordinated as Elaine from Seinfeld but I don't even care, I just go and dance and sweat and burn calories and have so much fun doing it. It's my drug, baby! It's like being on vacation everyday!
So now I have to pack and get ready for the weekend extraordinaire. It may sound redundant but I CAN NOT EVER THANK YOU ENOUGH! I live in the best town in the world and have the best family & best friends ever, even if you are jealous of my new boobs, I will still love you!

**Also, I want some pictures on Friday. Pink it is. send to my email chafner5@comcast.net and while recovering I'll upload to the blog. Rock the Pink!!

3 comments:

  1. Jules,
    I know I'm biased, but your writing is so totally amusing and entertaining, I'm just blown away. You must have been paying attention in a creative writing class. I was laughing with tears at the thought of the goop coming out of your nose! I guess I'm just as goofy as you are and proud of it. I would like to take credit, but can't, as all the credit goes to you for being so brave, so witty and so all around wonderful. You make me so proud. You did learn to swear from your father however...!!!!!! You know we'll be with you every single step of your journey, probably packing on the pounds from all the goodies your friends are sending over!
    Love you to infinity, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie:
    First I'd like to introduce myself, Joann Lindsey. I am the sister-in-law of a friend of your cousin Kathy Mullenbach! Gerry and Kathy apparently worked together many years ago. Gerry recently received an email from Kathy regarding you and your upcoming surgery. She passed it along to me. I will most definitely be sending my many prayers to you on Friday. 10 months ago I was where you are. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2009. My mammogram was in February. It was a very long road that year. After 2 bi-lateral breast biopsies, 2 lumpectomy surgeries and 1 re-excision, I had bi-lateral mastectomy surgery (with reconstruction) on Dec 1st. It's all very scary and the unknown is difficult. You sound very confident...stay that way. My many prayers will be with you on Friday. I went into my surgery knowing that was exactly what I needed to do. Hope you feel the same. Stay strong....it's all temporary! I will be following along and keeping up on your recovery! May god keep you safe. Joann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boogers and boobs. Only on Julie's blog.

    ReplyDelete