Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wednesday, September 15th

We had our "late night" rendez-vous with the plastic surgeon last night. We made great time to Kenilworth - that's the upside of a 9:30pm appt. We actually met him at 10:15pm. We were happy to be in a quiet, comfortable environment while waiting - the office had sirius/xm lite channel on and I must admit I was signing along. Great music, no kids, this is almost like date night. Dr. Fenner is a calm and peaceful kind of doctor, just the very opposite of me which was nice. I think he made me slow down a bit. Can I admit that even with his nice demeanor, I am still so immature that I actually had to bite my lip to keep from smirking. I mean this is SO out of my comfort zone. Would I have ever considered having a boob job before this situation. NO. But here I am. Would I prefer my saggy goods that God gave me? Yes, of course but that isn't really an option anymore. So I have to juggle my emotions. While I received good news about the surgery, I also am wrestling with the fear that I am going to wake up from all of this and say "Whose boobs are these and what in the world just happened to me." The good news is, my reconstruction can be done in a one step process. I will undergo a double mastectomy, then the surgeon will pass the baton and the plastic surgeon will come in and immediately "reconstruct" by inserting implants behind the muscle wall and get me looking all pretty. Just so you know, my objective is to look as close to how I look now. Clay's objective may lie closer to Pamela Anderson. I think he understands that I'm not really a Pamela size kinda gal. So we agreed on new, normal and healthy ones! Our drive home provided some interesting dialog. The range of emotions is overwhelming as well as the anticipation for when all of this is going to happen. The nurses at each surgeons have explained that 3-4 weeks is normal and not be disappointed by that wait time. Clay's latest idea is that I need to buy 7 wigs and just rotate through them much to the entertainment or embarrassment of our kids, family & friends. Then I told him how expensive wigs are and he said, "Oh I meant Halloween type wigs" So when you see Elvira dropping off the kids at school you can know...there's that crazy Julie Hafner!!

2 comments:

  1. Julie--I'm thanking God everyday that you are my daughter-in-law--he really blessed us with you--thanks Clay for your input on that!!! We love you both!!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- we have a few wigs in our dress up box in the basement from when Kelly, Anna and I were little if you want to give those a try! keeping you in my thoughts all the way over here!
    baci, ellen

    ReplyDelete