Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Sunday, September 26, 2010

WARNING: I am currently under construction

Hi everyone! It's me, I'm back into blogging action! I have a new friend called Norco (I believe it's vicodin's cousin). We are getting along just fine. I am all tongue tied and goofy from the meds but shouldn't that make for some entertainment? I am so happy Clay filled in for me and got you all our good news. There was no lymph node involvement but they still need to be tested at a higher level of pathology. We'll get those results in the next week or so. We will still visit several oncologists to seek out the best treatment plan for me. I will also plan on do genetic testing in the next few months. In the meantime, we believe I am cancer free at the moment and that feels great!!
Favorite quote of the weekend from my friend Lesley taken from our favorite movie "Airplane!"...
"We've got to get this man to a hospital"
"What is it?"
"It's a large building with patients but that's not important right now".
So that should set the tone for how Friday went. For as nervous as I was on Thursday, my nerves calmed being surrounded by friends and family at the hospital. We were a parade of pink and as soon as I get home, I will post pictures for you to see. Clay's sister, Lisa, and my nieces Ellie & Emma came to the hospital with pink shirts that they made. Each one said something different and they were awesome.
I have heard from several parents from Walker School (where my 3 girls go) and heard that there was so much pink being worn, ribbons on trees and balloons. Thanks to all who tried to capture the support on film. I was so touched. All day Friday we kept getting more and more pictures. My surgery was delayed a bit so all the pictures helped pass the time. I will work hard this week, from my bed, to get the slide show on the blog. I am so impressed with you all!!
The surgery was a success. It was easiest on me for sure. I received a vial of valium and was truly "out there" very quickly. I believe that Clay was not lying about the "bitches" comment although I believe it was only directed towards him! Then I got wheeled into surgery and I remember seeing the surgeon and LOTS of equipment and I laughed about nothing and then I woke up crying. So they did a fabulous job of knocking me out. I hear they use an amnesiac as well so that I will not remember a thing about the surgery. Clearly it worked! So after I got some pain meds pumping in recovery I was wheeled to my room where Clay was waiting. I just remember being very tired and sore. My parents and Jim visited for a bit and then I went to sleep. I woke up and thought it was 7 am but quickly found out it was only 1 am. That was the start of a long evening of sleep, no sleep, sleep, no sleep. Really can I not get any sleep aids in the hospital? Anyone who has ever been in the hospital knows that you are chained to your bed via IV, leg compression tubes, Pain IVs, etc, so going to the bathroom becomes a MAJOR production. Anyway, can I get some cheese with my whine? I'll be happy to go home today where I can move freely. I have been weaned from my high powered morphine drip, so the honeymoon is over. I am only on Norco and am doing fine. Considering how major the surgery seems, it is really not that painful. I am not saying that is a breeze...It is just more pressure than pain. I do feel like someone has parked their car on my chest. I know you are all wondering what they look like...I can not answer that question as I haven't seen them myself. They are bound very tightly in an Ace bandage. They do not look like Pamela Anderson at all so the doctor clearly took my opinions seriously and not Clay's :) Ha ha! I am waiting for the plastic surgeon to discharge me to come home today. I need a shower in the worst way and will be happy to lose the compression stockings and hospital gown that has me mooning the room every time I get up. How cliche!!
Many thanks to:
Everyone who sported pink on Friday - I am tickled pink with all of the pictures.
Lesley, Stephanie, Brooke & Charlie for visiting me in the hospital!
John & Peg Hafner for becoming "Mom & Dad" at home and being with the kids and helping them feel happy at home.
Jim for making time in your fun softball weekend to be with me!
Mom & Dad for being here and being positive and happy and for scratching my back and rubbing my feet!
Heidi Gleason, Lisa Deering, Nancy Graham, Mary Beth Chadwell for running my kids all over town to soccer and Jr pommers, etc. I can't thank you enough!
Everyone who participated in the prayer group at Notre Dame, God must have listened.
Clay, for being with me every step of the way, even wanting to sample all of my pain medicine :)
My Doctors and nurses for taking very good care of me. I am totally impressed with Evanston Hospital - I have called it a hotel several times. Seriously!
And lastly I'd like to thank the Academy, it's just an honor to be nominated, uh oh! There go the drugs again!

6 comments:

  1. So happy to hear it went as well as it did! I'm sure it will be a relief to get home today. Will be keeping you in our prayers as you recover. And enjoy that Norco...it is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that things are going so well. The lymph nodes news is wonderful! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Keep up the humor and positive spirit it will go a long way in the days ahead. I like Clay's idea re the wigs I might have to borrow that one! Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Julie, we're so happy to read that everything went fine. And I am also so happy that you've experienced the love and support of your family and friends.

    Sending all my love and positive energy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie...it's me Joann from California...you're BC sister....so so glad to hear your surgery was successful. Be sure to keep your arms moving - walk the wall! Watch out for the Norco it causes serious constipation! Almost not worth the pain control! I got off Norco after a few days and took Aleive instead. At least things got moving again. Keep up the good work....you're doing great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling Julie

    Never lose your sense of humor, its the best kind of medicine (aside from the norco).

    Thinking of you.


    F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been thinking of you...so glad the surgeries are behind you and were successful!

    ReplyDelete