Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cheese fries in paradise

I had two follow-up appointments this week. First we saw Dr. Winchester the breast surgeon on Tuesday. All is good. He was very pleased with the surgery and with the pathology. My biggest complaint for him was that I have this "tendon" coming out of my armpit down towards my elbow, it sticks out, it hurts and it is limiting my range of motion. I, of course, had to scour the internet for answers. I think a lot of jilted, unhappy patients post on the internet and I got scared out of my mind. Readings things like: you'll have this forever, may even need more surgery, pain, pain and more pain. Where are all the happy people? Dr. Winchester explained that it is "cording" and will go away with time. This is where my lymph nodes were taken out and my body is just reacting this way...kind of like scar tissue. Great! I like that answer far better then the others I saw! I will see him in 6 months and then once a year probably for awhile.
Last night we took the whole clan up to Kenilworth for a trip to Homer's and the plastic surgeon's...isn't that what all families do on their outings? First, I will rave about Homer's. Sure the ice cream is delicious, that's a given...let's talk about the less infamous cheese fries. They are "old school" using a Merkt's type cheese that is thick, tangy and delightful (none of this stadium nacho cheese for my fries). Clay & I were reminiscing about Doc J's cheese fries down at U of I!! So, I almost passed on real food and just had the fries. This will, of course, end in more trips to the plastic surgeon's...ha! The appointment was good with Dr. Fenner as well. He took out a majority my stitches and gave me some silicone strips to cover the scars to help healing. He said wearing a bra 24/7 is "really helping" the shaping, I feel like I'm in under wire prison but am willing to do the time!! I asked him about my cording and he recommended a lymphatic massage to loosen it up...love a doctor who writes a prescription for a massage!! Sign me up!
Countdown to chemo...5 days!! Check out the new do...



4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that all is well...minus the temporary "cording." Ah, the memories...both Homers and Doc J's were places I haven't thought of in years. Love the new 'do and good luck with chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new hairdo.....hoping it's nice and easy to care for, too. Think of you so often- thanks for the updates!
    -Megan and all of the Wohlwends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie! Your Dad just sent me the link to your Blog and after reading it I have cried and laughed out loud. My husband thinks I am having a break down at the computer. We will keep you and your family in out thoughts and prayers. Love, Taryn (McNally) Dwyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had the "cording" and worked with a massage therapist that has been trained to work with BC patients. She was wonderful and almost elminiated my issues right away. Call me and I'll give you the number. She is in Oak park.

    ReplyDelete