Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Chemo...all the cool kids are doing it!

Grace & I saw this shirt and she asked if she could get it IF I had to do chemo. Well, we have an answer. Yes, I will do chemo and even better, I'll get the shirt. I am certainly not going to stop the fight now and why would I stop the laughter too. Isn't that a ridiculous message though...peer pressure, defiance, totally irreverent... sounds right up my alley!
The Hafner family took a trip to the city on Thursday . We took the kids out of school a wee bit early for a night of fun...a visit with a Northwestern Oncologist, dinner in the city, playing at Millennium park...I didn't necessarily rank them in order of fun! We met with Dr. Claudia Tellez and she recommended the same exact treatment that our local Dr. in Hinsdale did. To quote my mom, "Why would drive to city to get a diet coke if you can get the same diet coke in Hinsdale?" Exactly. I will stay local and make it easier on myself and my friends and family and will be starting treatments with Dr. Sweet the last week of October. This will be right about when I start to feel good after the mastectomy. Ahh perfect :) I will be on the following regimen: 4 Rounds of "TC" chemo every 3 weeks followed by 5 years of the estrogen blocking pill Tamoxifen. Bring it on...the sooner the better, let's get this shit over with and put behind us. How lucky that I have an easy to diagnose, easy to treat case (knock on wood). I thank my lucky stars everyday for the following:
1. Family, friends, well wishers & prayers
2. Smart people willing to go through all the extra schooling to become doctors/nurses. They are saving my life right now.
3. Researchers who sit behind microscopes day after day learning about the personalities of cancer and working hard to find a cure.
4. No housework, dishes or laundry. So this is what it feels like to be a man. HA, HA! Just a joke Clay...you helped out a lot before this and are doing totally awesome now that it's all up to you!
5. The best time to be going through this is October. Everywhere, everyone rocking the pink! I love it! Especially being downtown Chicago: The" Whatchu Talkin' about Willis" Tower, Trump tower, Blue Cross Building all illuminating pink in the skyline!
Perfect time for a reminder...do your self exams, each month same time and early detection means longer lives!! Have a beautiful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I am cool but I am doing it....You will be fine and the Hinsdale group is a good one with a great nursing staff. Again let me know if I can be a resource, listening ear, or even a moaning ear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    From one survivor to another, you will get through this. Stay strong and keep up the positive attitude. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete