Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Sunday, October 31, 2010

BOObs

Happy Halloween! My title: "BOObs" is the best I could do wrapping in the holiday and my current situation. Hope it works for you. I laughed, but I laugh at pretty much anything. This morning, we (Grace, Chloe, Jane & I) tried to get Clay to watch iCarly. This is THE only kid's show that does not throw me into fits of rage. Most Disney/Nickelodeon shows are so mundane they literally drive parents crazy! So, iCarly, on more than one occasion, has made me laugh and I don't grab the remote and turn it off immediately. So in our world where "family" means sitting in front of the TV, we gathered to watch iCarly. Mind you, I watched this episode last night and yet here I am laughing out loud and Clay thinks I have gone mad. I really do have the sense of humor of a 12 year old. It was the new episode where Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester to the Gleeks out there) portrays Sam's mom, Pam. Very funny stuff. It is one of the few shows that I am not squirming in my seat because of inappropriateness. The Office, Glee, Outsourced etc. are just not all that kid friendly and Clay and I are continually "clearing our throats" over the sex talk!!
Entertainment Weekly, I am not so let's talk chemo: I had the first treatment on Tuesday and much to my surprise, I handled it pretty well. My imagination surely got the best of me here. I was so worried and it was for naught! I had little symptoms throughout the week, a headache here, tiredness there, some stomach issues to only further my comedic episodes in the bathroom. Overall though, Chemo was not as big as I had built it up to be. Thanks to Laura who commented on the blog, you really calmed me the day before chemo! Isn't it great that a friend of a friend, can lend her support even though we don't know each other. Thank you!!
I have 2 more weeks until my next round. I'll be creeping in the hair loss zone soon.
Happy Trick-or-Treating to all of the ghosts and goblins and to the moms who steal Milky Ways from their kids when they are not looking.....

5 comments:

  1. BOObs to you TOO!! (or should I say TWO?) Love your posts, dear. Hugs and happy thoughts for a successful and very un-urpy 2nd round this week. love kat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the Chemo was not as bad as you thought it would be. I hope you guys had a great Halloween...and for the record, I am stealing Snickers this morning.

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie. I was sent your blog by a dear friend, Molly Gibson, a Madison School mom. I am a sister "in the bond" or should I say "in the bOOb". Your blog is quite inspirational, I have enjoyed following it and admire your strength and humor. A suggestion about the "cording". I remember it well and was quite disturbed by it!! I also developed some lymphedema in one arm. A doctor in the city recommended me to see Susie Santilli in Oak Brook. She is one of the few lymphedema trained therapists in the Chicagoland area. It was covered by my insurance with an md prescription. She is a wonderful gal and could massage that cording away!! She is in an office building just north of 22nd Street on Midwest Road... The Center for Hand and Physical Rehabilitation... Phone 630-495-9731. If you have been given the ok to begin massage, I would suggest you call her since she is specifically trained for this condition. If you see her, tell her Debbie Zimmer says hi. All the best to you!! Your are an inspiration and will touch the lives of many women not yet diagnosed!! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie!

    Thanks so much for the "shout out" in your blog! :) SOOOOOO happy to hear that you made it through the first week relatively unscathed!! You're good to go for the next two weeks...and, at least, now you know what to expect! You're doing great!!

    As for the hair, here's how I looked at it (having had thick long curly hair)...my showers were, like, FIVE minutes tops! No shampooing and conditioning, no shaving, just wash and run! It does have its advantages! :)

    Hang in there and keep up the amazing, positive, funny outlook! You are remarkable! And I'm proud of you!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I'm SO in agreement about iCarly...it's a kid show I actually like to watch! And LOVED the one with Sam's mom...the whole therapy room/confession closet whatever it's called! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete