Welcome!

I am happy to have you follow my journey. On September 3, 2010 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was stage 1, grade 2, ER/PR positive and Her2Neu negative with no lymph node involvement. These are my stats and I'll never forget them. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and made it through 4 rounds of chemotherapy, 3 weeks apart. I completed my treatment on December 28th and look forward to a healthy and cancer free 2011! Hope you laugh and learn and remember to Treasure Your Chest...Don't forget to do your monthly self exams!
Rated PG-13

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Season of Thanks

I went for my blood counts this morning and once again they were very low. The nurse consulted with Dr. Sweet who agreed I needed a shot of Nupogen. This is a white blood cell booster and should help me immediately. I will go back on Thursday for another count and possibly another shot. This should keep me on track for my third and fourth treatments. After the next round on 12/7, I may go back into the office for a shot of Neulasta which is a longer lasting type of white cell booster. All of this is to prevent infection which is very hard to overcome when you don't have many white blood cells!
I also got the news from the geneticist that I am not a carrier of the BRAC 1 or 2 gene. This is great news. My breast cancer was a random act of cell division! Yeah, I guess!
I am no longer bald. I have grown lots of little white hairs that resemble peach fuzz. I am just so excited to have something on my head that can create a nice lather in the shower. I am pretty sure this will all fall out again maybe when I start growing real hair after treatment #4!
For the most part I am feeling good. I have 2-3 really tired days after treatment and then I am back to life and being a busy mom!
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week. Here is a short list of a few things I am thankful for:
*Endorphins. I had my first run last week. I did it! It wasn't all that bad either. I did get to experience a little "runner's high" that I've been missing. It's crazy that the body can totally heal in 8 weeks!
*Massage. I had my first massage, yes I even laid on my stomach. Clay & I celebrated our 13th anniversary on the 29th and went to the Kohler Waters Spa in Burr Ridge and dinner at Topaz. What a perfect way to spend our anniversary!! I loved every second of it. For those locals, The Kohler spa is one of the best spas I've been to!! (Montage, Laguna Beach is #1).
*Zumba. Jen is the perfect antidote to my chemo. I love being there. I have been back for a month and it is awesome. Loved the Cee Lo/Glee song :)
*Laughter. We laughed so freakin' hard at Thanksgiving during our annual 7-11 game. I thought isn't this the medicine there is!!
*Santa's elves: Lisa, Melinda, Jean & Kelly showed up to decorate my house for Christmas on Saturday. Can you even fathom how awesome this was for me. Clay got the decorations down from the attic and these magical elves decorated my whole house, the tree, the outside, brought wreaths, cookies, candy etc. Can't imagine a better gift you could give.
There is so much more to be thankful for but I'm saving up for my post-chemo tear jerker blog!!
Thanks for reading :) Only 25 days until Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment